Thursday, July 15, 2010

I want lumens, dammit!

As a photographer, I appreciate the importance of adequate light to record an image. Likewise, I also understand the importance of "task lighting," i.e., sufficient illumination to do ordinary things safely and comfortably, whether it's reading a book, sewing, etc.

That is why I went ahead and swapped out two of the four compact fluorescent bulbs in our motel room with hundred-watt incandescent bulbs yesterday.

I will probably catch flak for having installed those bulbs in sockets rated for sixty watts, but I like being able to see what I'm doing, and this swap was, in my opinion, long overdue. Now I can actually see what I'm doing much better, and with less eyestrain.

The CF bulbs I removed had an equivalent power output of sixty watts, but consumed substantially less energy, which leads to additional effects of reduced energy costs, all the way up to helping the environment. (These will be restored when we check out, and that depends on how soon we can find an apartment.)

Now, I'm all for saving the planet (I've been, to some degree, an environmentalist of sorts all my life), but I don't like having to "settle for less" when I don't have to, especially in matters that, to one extent or other, have to do with comfort and/or safety.


Dieter Zakas

No comments:

Post a Comment